Overlooking the Weald of Kent, Chartwell was the prestigious home of Winston Churchill from 1922 until his death in 1965. He and Lady Churchill spent hours enjoying the grounds and gardens – he with interests as broad as fine flora and bricklaying, and she as an accomplished player of both tennis and, later in life, croquet. When the tennis court was remodelled as a croquet lawn in 1949 it was accompanied by a small wooden pavilion, which was painted in this green to match the garden furniture.
top of page
bottom of page